Ice Cube, BIG3 to Launch 3-on-3 Tournament Under Quarantine in April
When ball is life, people find a way for the show to go on.
In the case of Ice Cube and the BIG3, the show will literally go on.
According to Yahoo! Sports, the BIG3 basketball league is looking to launch a reality-show-style 3-on-3 tournament, which will take place in a mansion under quarantine. All who break the quarantine will be immediately eliminated to preserve the safety and health of the players and coaches.
— BIG3 on CBS (@thebig3) March 19, 2020
“We’ve been working on safety issues to make sure we can do this responsibly,” Big3 executive Jeff Kwatinetz told Marc Spears of The Undefeated. “We’ve made a lot of headway since last week and are hoping to move this forward as people need sports and entertainment to get them through hard times.”
The BIG3 is currently in the process of negotiating a deal with a high-profile television partner with the hope that the show will begin to air in April.
“It’s ‘Big Brother’ meets Big3,” Ice Cube told Spears. “If we can do it in a safe and responsible manner, we will.”
Per the Yahoo! Sports report, the preseason event of the show will feature seven rounds of games, which will include between 16 to 22 players – all who have tested negative for the coronavirus. The plan at this time is for the tournament to take place in Los Angeles.